- posted by Jennifer
- While I was gone, I had the opportunity to shoot a mini engagement photo session for my cousin Bobbi and his fiance Diane. She is such a total kick in the pants and she suits Bobbi perfectly. Somehow he found someone who will fish and hunt with him. And when Diane gets a ringer at horseshoes - she runs up and lays a big hug around his neck and kisses him. This is my new all time favorite photo (for the moment anyway!) :-)Diane will get a kick out of the new totally RAD action I used on this image called Dirty Diana. Yes, there is a private joke in there folks - only shared amongst family!
- posted by Jennifer
- We're home from our family reunion. I'll post pictures from that shortly, but in the meantime here are a few of my favs from our camping time with my sister and her husband and our two morning hikes.
This shot was taken on our drive to Mammoth Lakes. It looked like a fire had recently been through the hwy 89 area and I thought this was a telling image.
The first night we arrived we walked around our campsite at sunset. Aren't these cool as you see the light streaking across the sky?!
I just love this one of Cory! Those of you who know him....this is Cory's signature pose.This is Gracie - Val and Rob's dog that was our resident watch dog from the bears.
The next morning we did a hike around Convict Lake and we saw several deer. One was only about 10 feet away from us when we came across it. We stopped at one point to let Gracie have a swim to keep cool.The 2nd morning we did a much larger hike from Lake Mary up to Lake Barney - with about 5 lakes in between. Lake Mary is at approx 8500 elevation - when we hit the 10,000 feet sign we couldn't help but take some pictures! Talk about sucking air - we are not used to that elevation - instead of water breaks, we needed oxygen breaks. The view into the valley was awesome - you can even see one of the lakes in the distance that we passed on the way up to the top.These last two shots I took the last night in camp. I put the camera in manual mode at 2000 ISO with a shutter speed of 8 seconds. I used the timer on the camera so that the depressing of the shutter button wouldn't blur the shot. Pretty cool huh? We can see the Big Dipper in the first shot with just a slight silhouette of our tent, and you can see the Milky Way and the Little Dipper (far lower right) in the 2nd image. The brightest star is either Venus or Mars - not sure - but it's definitely a planet. I could sleep under the stars every night.
- posted by Jennifer
- If you need immediate assistance the next few days, please contact Nicole, our office manager, at email@example.com. I will be traveling to attend a family reunion and will be returning Sunday. The cool thing is that we are camping near Mammoth Lakes and will be doing some hiking. I'm not even sure I'll have cell phone access. How cool is that?! Seriously, I'm kind of looking forward to it. But I am taking the laptop in case I do have access so I can blog some hiking pictures - if not during the trip - definitely when I get home.
- posted by Jennifer
- Hello and Happy Day to you all!
What a fun filled day. I thought Iâ??d write a quick email to fill you in. Itâ??s Tuesday â?? rice, beans and tuna flavored potato day. YUM!
During preschool the kids were CRAZY wild and out of control. But, by the end we were playing outside and they were mostly behaving themselves. We had a good time chasing each other around.
Lunch was good, then I came back and took a quick nap before a 1:00 meeting. I love sleeping here. Somehow my body has an internal clock that just wonâ??t quit! I wake up EVERY morning at 5:57. Why? I donâ??t know. Yes, I usually roll over (carefully since I sleep on the top bunk) and go back to sleep. Then, in the afternoon, if I look at my watch and have time for a nap, I take one. If I have 1 hour, I sleep for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Today I only had 10 minutes before my meeting, so I closed my eyes and woke up at 1:00 on the nose! Itâ??s really weird, and I donâ??t know why itâ??s happening, but hey, Iâ??ll take it!
I have been taking care of Orlandi in the afternoons. Orlandi is the daughter of the principal at the school. He is here all day and Orlandi has nothing to do in the afternoons. So, they bring her to my house (usually at the end of one of my naps) and we hang out until itâ??s time for the workshop and then she comes to my workshop. I think she is about 5. She is adorable and an absolute kick in the pants.
Anyway, I had to talk to Marijo today about buying paint for the mural that lines the inside wall of the orphanage. So, Orlandi and I started walking towards the office (about a 5-7 minute walk from my volunteer house) and we stopped by the swings to swing for a bit. We then continued on our way â?? stopping to pick flowers, balance on the curb, and do other 5 year old things.
We get to the office to find that Marijo wasnâ??t there. So, we walk another 5 minutes to her house. I was going to just give her the paint list, but she was going into San Pedro anyway and offered to take me with her and weâ??d do the paint thing together.
We went to the paint store, Jumbo, got gas, and then went to this DELICIOUS frozen yogurt place. I had no idea that they had frozen yogurt here. But, they do. You pick out 3 fruits (which are cut up and frozen) and then they blend it together into yogurt. Fantastic. Today is Marijoâ??s birthday so I bought her yogurt for her and we sat and enjoyed a frozen yogurt.
Today is Imryâ??s last night. So, when I got home I ate some Top Ramen, then went over to the other house to wish him bon voyage. We stacked up a bunch of Oreos and put a candle on top. He was happy.
Then, we all decided to walk over to Marijoâ??s house and surprise her by singing happy birthday. SO, we got our flashlights, put on our shoes, and 16 of us headed over to Marijoâ??s house. Along the way, Dominique (Swiss Dentist) found a plant that feels EXACTLY like a spider. So, she would randomly walk up behind someone and touch them with it. She got me first. I screamed like a school girl and was batting away what I thought was a tarantula.
Then, she got Kelly Q. She touched her neck and Kelly bent over, screamed and ran trying to brush off the tarantula she thought was crawling on her neck. SO, all during the long walk to Marijoâ??s everyone kept screaming out thinking a tarantula was on them. It was awesome.
So, we finally got there, and sang Happy Birthday to Marijo in 7 different languages. She was at Kiranâ??s house, so he came out and offered everyone an Oreo and we stood around for a minute and chatted then we left.
It was a fun night. I love random stuff like this. If I were at home, I would have been sitting alone, on the internet, or stressing over something, or thinking about something. But here, I love my reality. My reality is that I work, I sleep when Iâ??m tired, I eat when Iâ??m hungry, I stay up as late as I want (because I can always nap the next day), I hang out with the tias, the kids all know my name so if Iâ??m walking and they want to play catch, swing on the swings, or spin a top on the ground, I just stop and do whatever. I love that I have no distractions other than to â??be.â?? If someone is going somewhere and I want to go, I do. If I donâ??t, then I donâ??t. If I am asleep, and someone wants to talk to me, they just come to my window and wake me up. Then, we chat. Weâ??re all here together. We are all in the same boat, and we are all taking each day as it comes. I need to remember this when I get home. Be present. Or, as Garth said in Wayneâ??s World â??Live in the now.â??
So, right now, Iâ??m sitting on the porch. Itâ??s 10:30pm. There is no power, so itâ??s dark â?? with the exception of the porch light that runs on an inverter, and the glow of computer screens. Janvier has his bachata music on. Susana and Christian are speaking in Spanish about something, and Monica and I are checking email. I love this life.
On a funny note, here are some Dominican beliefs. The folks here do believe these are TRUEâ?¦
1) If kids play in the water, they will get the flu.
2) If you are losing your hair itâ??s because a centipede is in your bed eating it
3) If you work too hard you will get sick (this is actually true I think)
4) If you are sick, water with lemon will cure ANYTHING
I am signing off. Love you all, Kelly
- posted by Jennifer
- You have been asking for a cacata photo. While we were walking back from the batey we ran into a little furry friend. So, I gave Janvier my camera to go back and take pictures. (I was too tired and headed to bed.)
So, at last, here are some long awaited photos of tarantulas in the DR.