- posted by Jennifer
- Less than a week ago, we posted about the Canon Cinema Caravan commercial competition - asking you all to go and watch and vote.
It was just announced today that we WON!
HUGE thank you's go out to each and every one of you that voted. There were hundreds of you. Special thanks to the following people who really got the word out there: Dawn (our little model's mom), Terry, Carie, and all my family and friends who spread the word.
- posted by Jennifer
- Elizabeth and Claudio had reason to rent a vintage limousine for their wedding day. Elizabeth had a photograph from Elizabeth's grandparents in such a car with a "Just Married" sign across the back.
- This vintage limo was a beauty. Look at these white-wall tires.
- While I drove behind the vintage limo (with Elizabeth and Claudio inside), Kelly rolled down the window and hung herself out there to get some "in action" shots. Great job Kelly!
- And Elizabeth brought the photograph from her Grandparent's wedding day, so that we could take this exact photo of Claudio and herself with it. Oh and in case you can't tell....this IS THE EXACT "Just Married" sign that her grandparent used. They've saved it all these years. Too cool!
- posted by Jennifer
- I am so excited to write our Talk of the Town Thursday post today! We are featuring Botanica Floral Designs and I couldn't wait to talk about Audrey and her fabulous work! Audrey with Botanica Floral Designs has been the florist for several weddings and events we've photographed in the last couple of years. We have also worked directly with Audrey on several Memory Journalists' shoots. Audrey is so talented and an all-around wonderful person. She is always so helpful, timely and super easy to work with. A couple of times we have had last minute flower emergencies and Audrey came to our rescue. Audrey, we can't thank you enough! We hope our readers enjoy some insight on Botanica Floral Designs including our fun interview and several storyboards (of course).
Audrey Chaney, Floral stylist and founder of Botanica Floral Designs, is passionate about wedding flowers and the beauty behind well-crafted wedding design. After receiving her Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Horticulture Science from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Audrey began her pursuit of starting her own design firm in Sacramento. Specializing in wedding flowers and event floral design, Botanica Floral Designs has grown to be a premier wedding floral design studio where clients are offered a boutique experience, personalized service and dramatic results.
I love this photo of Audrey! Not only is she talented but so beautiful inside and out. This photo was taken by David Pascolla Photography.
- We caught up with Audrey recently for a quick interview. Check out what we learned.....
How long have you been a floral designer and what made you choose this career? My goodness, I have been designing flowers for over ten years now, but remember as far back as being in elementary school when I started my fascination with flowers. I think flowers and horticulture have just always been a part of my life, and I am a true believer in making what you love your career.
What is your favorite wedding element or moment? Well, I LOVE weddings, and it's more than just my love of flowers. My favorite thing about a wedding is how "true to style" it matches the couple. The REAL PEOPLE getting married. Whether you like fried chicken, dancing to crazy songs, or sharing your family's jam recipe, I simply love when the wedding day reflects the bride and groom and how they live and love life. This is the one day that is about you as a couple and all the quirkiness which makes you, YOU!
What do you think is the biggest thing that sets you apart from other wedding florists? My creativity and versatile style. My design background allows me to create different designs and styles as well as create fresh and innovative ideas to keep my clients' events one of a kind. Some examples of this would include our use of interesting and unique elements, whether they be fresh botanicals or vessels and containers to make our clients' events totally unique.
What's the craziest "theme" you have ever incorporated into wedding flowers? Most of our clients don't take huge risks when it comes to their wedding flowers... so nothing too crazy-weird per se. I've had clients incorporate fish in their arrangements, I've also had their pets wear flowers, and we've done some other "fun" elements such as this. It's got to be different, but not sooo different that it's weird or doesn't make sense.
Is there any other info you would like to add about Botanica Floral Designs? We have an awesome blog you and all your friends should follow, it's loaded with helpful tips, featured weddings and all things wedding. You can check it out here: Botanica Blog
The below photos showcase a few of my personal favorites from Audrey for one of our fashion shoots. I love her use of surprising elements in her bouquets. The feathers are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!
- Botanica Floral Designs specializes in bridal flowers, bridal bouquet, bridesmaid bouquets, boutonnieres, corsages, reception flowers, ceremony flowers, centerpieces and wedding decorations and decor.
Below are more examples of Audrey's creative work. These are from the Beyond Platinum event at Arden Hills. We were partnered up with Audrey and just love how everything turned out!
- Botanica Floral Designs is based in Sacramento and services all of Northern California, including Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, Roseville, Sacramento, Lodi, Stockton and Modesto.
We worked with Audrey at a NACE event out at Le Rivage last summer. Again, the work is so crisp. Audrey seamlessly incorporates whatever color scheme is desired into her florals bringing everything together so nicely.
- You may have seen these photos on our blog or Botanica's blog but I just had to throw in one more storyboard. Audrey did such an amazing job on Caitlin and Sean's wedding flowers and incorporated gold fish for the couple's fish theme!
- posted by Jennifer
- Okay everyone...THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!! We need your help!!
As some of you know The Memory Journalists are getting into the film (aka video) side of photography. We call it "motion" photography, vs still photography. We recently attended a Canon sponsored workshop in Portland where we each had to come up with a 30 second commercial for a Canon Powershot camera. There were several cities on the workshop tour with a total of 20 submissions. There are BIG things in it for the overall winner, AND we just made the top 5 cut - which were chosen internally by the company who taught the workshop, StillMotion Photo & Cinema.
Now it's open to the public to vote for their favorite commercial out of the top 5! We are asking that you vote for us.
Here's the details...Click on this link -
click on my name (jennifer - Portland)
and click the word "vote"
Ask you friends, spouses, co-workers, etc. to vote too! Vote today. Voting is only open until Sunday and your vote counts. Of course, please watch all 5 entries and vote for your favorite...but we hope it's ours!
Many people have commented to me that our wonderful model looks like a mini-Jennifer. Wearing pink, a hat, painted toe nails with polka dots. I guess I never thought of that as I scouted for our model but now I laugh as she does remind me of me. We were given about 4 hours to pick our script, storyboard our commercial, and then go shoot. We had a team of 4 people: a director (me), Camera A, and Camera B and our lighting person. I hand picked this beautiful little girl, a complete stranger, from a water park in Portland close by where our workshop was held. She was the best model EVER!
- Here is our commercial...you can also watch it on the link above.
- posted by Jennifer
- Elizabeth and Claudio chose Wine and Roses as their wedding reception location. After Kelly and I did a bit of scouting around at Morris Chapel, we headed back to Wine and Roses, where Elizabeth and the girls were getting ready.
Wine and Roses is located at:
2505 W Turner Rd.
Lodi, California 95242
- We stopped along the way to photograph how full the grapes are right now.
- Elizabeth was getting ready in the Spa at Wine and Roses. I think I need to go there for a day of pampering myself....anyone want to go with me?
- Elizabeth had her dress made by Amy Kuschel of San Francisco. And it was perfect! I loved the lace and the simplicity and elegance of this gown. Elizabeth is such a classic girl - I like to compare her to the actresses of the day of such women as Audrey or Katharine Hepburn. All the girls wore pearls...so classic! But it goes deeper than just classic looks...Elizabeth is deep down classic. You can feel it in her soul.
- The french blue and yellow were used throughout the day. The flowers had such texture. Great job by La Martine Floral.
- Even the striped linens were classic, elegant and beautiful.
- As we returned from the Morris chapel ceremony, we spent a few short minutes on the grounds of Wine and Roses before the sun was completely gone.
Our journey back from Morris chapel has a special story...which deserves a blog post all by itself...so look for that post coming soon.
- Mike Regan, of MR DJ Services, prepared a fabulous slideshow that had Claudio in stitches....even crying tears at one point that he was laughing so hard.
- I loved hearing the words of wisdom and toasts. How many shirts did you really buy, Claudio, once you learned of Elizabeth's appreciation for those colors?!
- Their first dance started off ordinarily enough...Claudio looking into Elizabeth's eyes...but before the crowd knew what happened...
- Elizabeth and Claudio broke out into a salsa dance!!! It was awesome...so much fun!
- And the Indiana Jones themed garter removal was perfect for Claudio. Be sure to click the below image to begin your wedding day sneak peak slideshow.
We really had a blast of a day with you two...Congratulations!